Today I’m continuing the recap of my daughter’s Little Mermaid-inspired birthday party by sharing the food menu….which, I think, has the perfect touch of “nautical nonsense.”
The party took place during a hot day in the middle of July, so although I originally wanted to offer a variety of seafood, I decided to offer food that wouldn’t spoil as easily. To keep with our theme, I gave each food option a fun Little Mermaid-inspired name.
- Ariel’s Seashell Pasta
- Under The Sea Sub Sandwiches
- Skuttle’s Starfish Salad – red grapes, strawberries, blueberries and watermelon. Star-shaped cookie cutters were used to transform our watermelon into Starfish.
- Sea Salt Chips
- Pirate Booty snack bags
- Sebastian’s Jumpin’ Jellyfish Sandwiches (Again, I simply used cookie cutters to make the shaped sandwiches.)
I offered the typical non-alcohol beverages- milk, grape juice, water and a variety of sodas. There was one themed drink- Flounder’s Blue Ocean (Blue Hawaiian Punch and Sprite.) I saw variations of this type of blue drink all over Pinterest, so I thought I’d try it. It was a big success with the kids!
For the treat table I kept with the party’s color scheme of a variety of blues, greens and white when choosing treats that complemented our theme.
Here’s a rundown of the treats available to the party guests:
- Raspberry and Grape Salt Water Taffy
- Gummi Blue Raspberry Rings
- Shimmer White Gumballs
- Blue and Purple rock candy sticks
- Oyster Cookies
I used S-shaped store purchased cookies to make the Oyster-like cookies. Each S-shaped cookie I snapped in half, which I then connected the two halves with icing and placed a white Sixlet in the center as if it was a pearl.
- Green Apple Licorice
- Turquoise Wegmans Gems (M&M look-a-likes but cheaper)
- Clam Shell Lollipops by Etsy Shop Candied Cakes https://www.etsy.com/shop/CandiedCakes
Last, but not least, is Victoria’s requested “Mermaid” cake. Per her (everyday for a month) request, she wanted a Mermaid cake- “chocolate on the inside, green on the outside.” A bit less dramatic than I wanted, but Wegman’s bakery department did exactly as she wanted and Victoria was happy. That alone made the entire day perfect for me!