Looking for a simple St. Patrick’s Day themed craft to make with your little Mouseketeer?
This week I made these Mickey and Minnie Mouse inspired over-sized magnets with a great group of 1st and 2nd grade students. The kids proudly constructed their projects in just over a half hour and I’m thrilled to report that their was little clean up left behind! With the use of glue dots and adhesive-backed foam, there were no sticky tables, fingers or clothing!
Today I’ll share with you the simple craft tutorial, including a list of supplies and a printable template for you to use with your children.
- One 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet of black craft foam (This will be enough for two sets of Mickey and Minnie magnets.)
- One 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheet of green craft foam (You’ll only us about a quarter of this sheet.)
- One sheet of adhesive-backed white craft foam (the smallest size sheet you can find will work)
- Glue Dots Adhesives (I purchased the above package for the class to use and each child used one sheet to make the two magnets.)
- Hole Punch
- Four 1/2″ self adhesive round magnets (two for each mouse)
- Template ~ Here’s a PDF of the template I made for the kids to use. It was drawn quickly by an unsteady hand, so no judging people.
St. Patrick’s Mickey and Minnie Template
- Print out the template on card stock.
- Cut the four images out
- On the black foam, trace the rectangular image once and the Mickey image twice, then cut them out.
- On the green foam, trace the bow and hat image and cut them out.
- Using a standard hole punch, punch approximately 15 pieces of the white foam.
- To create the Mickey inspired magnet, attach the hat onto the Mickey by using a few of the glue dots.
- Add the black rectangular piece to the green hat with two glue dots.
- To create the Minnie inspired magnet, stick the fifteen white foam punches onto the green bow simply by peeling the backing off of the white foam. Don’t you love self adhesive!
- Secure Minnie’s bow onto her black foam head with the use of a few glue dots.
- Flip Mickey and Minnie over and add a magnet to each ear. Again, just peel the paper off and stick them to the foam.
That’s it! Throw away the peeled away paper and you’re done cleaning up!